HR0320 – Administrative Closings
To define administrative closings and compensation guidelines for regular employees.
Scheduled Administrative Closings
- Certain days, such as the Friday after Thanksgiving and during the week of Christmas when classes are not in session, may be designated each year by the Vice President for Human Resources as administrative closings. During this time, regular employees in an active pay status will be granted time off from work with compensation.
- Eligibility for compensation for administrative closings declared in advance is made in accordance with the provisions specified in Human Resources policy, HR0350 HOLIDAYS item 2.
Scheduled Administrative Closing Compensation
- Regular full-time employees are compensated for 8 hours on each day of scheduled administrative closing.
Regular part-time employees are compensated for scheduled administrative closings at a rate pro rata to their planned working time in IRIS.
Work Performed During Scheduled Administrative Closings
- Compensation for work performed during scheduled administrative closing should be made in accordance with the provisions specified in Human Resources policy, HR0350 HOLIDAYS (4. a. and b. and 5. a. and b.).
Compressed Work Weeks
- During a week in which scheduled administrative closing(s) occurs for:
- Regular full-time employees the compressed work week schedule is suspended, and departments use a five (5) day / eight (8) hour day work schedule
- Regular part-time employees the work week schedule is adjusted to provide administrative closing compensation according to item 3 and when added to the hours worked, the total hours do not exceed the regular part-time schedule so that administrative closing compensation does not reduce or increase the total hours in the work week.
If business necessity requires an exception, human resources must be contacted for compliance.
Administrative Closing(s) for Emergencies
- At times it may be necessary for the chief administrator or designee of a campus or institute to declare specific hours as administrative closing as the result of inclement weather or other emergency situations.
- Any emergency closing within a period of an employee’s annual, sick, or other leave with pay is administrative closing and is recorded as such.
Administrative Closing for Emergencies Compensation
Emergency Closing on a Scheduled Work Day
- Regular employees in an active pay status who are scheduled to work during the emergency closing will be granted administrative closing which will be recorded as such, not to exceed the hours scheduled to work.
If emergency closing has not been declared and an employee is prevented from reporting to work for his or her normally scheduled working hours, annual leave or leave without pay will be charged. The employee may be permitted to make up the time lost provided it can be done within the work week in which the event occurred, and the supervisor has approved the request.
- Regular employees who are not scheduled to work during an emergency closing will not be compensated for the emergency closing.
- Compensation for the emergency closing should be made in accordance with the provisions specified in Human Resources policy, HR0350 HOLIDAYS (4. a. and b. and 5. a. and b.).
|Health Science Center:||uthsc.edu/policies/w932_document_list.php?app=HR|
|Institute of Agriculture:||ag.tennessee.edu/Pages/UTIApolicies.aspx|