HR0102 – Emeritus Status
To recognize retiring faculty members or administrators for distinguished service to the University of Tennessee over an extended period of time.
- Faculty members and administrators of a campus or institute may be awarded emeritus status at the discretion of the chancellor of the campus or vice president of the institute at which the individual has served. When judged appropriate, it is customary to award this distinction at the time of retirement to faculty members retiring with the rank of professor and administrators retiring with the rank of dean, vice chancellor, or provost.
- Emeritus status may be awarded to an administrator in the university-wide systems administration at the discretion of the president. When judged appropriate, it is customary to award this distinction to individuals retiring from the position of chancellor or vice president.
- The award of emeritus status is accomplished through a letter to the retiring employee from the responsible university officer, with a copy to the human resources office, and by executing the following:
- Adding emeritus to the existing position title
- Modifying the tenure status field to reflect emeritus
- No formal privileges are available exclusively to emeritus faculty and staff other than the use of the title.
Related Policies: HR0160 – Termination of Employment, HR0375 – Retirement Plans