No./Title: 143 – FACULTY RECRUITMENT &
Resp. Office: HUMAN
Effective Date: 06/10/2014
Last Review: 08/30/2018
Next Review: 08/30/2021
Contact: Terrie Starling
Paid Faculty Positions
A packet of sample forms, letters and additional information concerning faculty recruitment may be obtained from the Office of Diversity and Equity. Questions concerning appointment of faculty should be directed to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs who has administrative oversight responsibility for this activity.
For a new position the hiring department must complete a Request to Create a Position Form (found on the IRIS website) and forward to Business and Finance for approval. If approved a position number will be assigned and e-mailed to the requesting unit. The hiring department enters requisition data into the Position Recruitment Database, and forwards the computer generated Requisition through the chair and the dean to Business and Finance.
For a replacement position the hiring department enters requisition data (including position number) into the Position Recruitment Database and forwards the computer generated Requisition through the chair and the dean to Business and Finance.
Business and Finance approves and forwards the Requisition to the Director of Equity and Diversity. When approved the requisition is returned to the hiring department.
- The hiring department initiates recruitment and interview in accordance with materials received from the Office of Equity and Diversity. Openings for all faculty positions must be advertised in national publications and must include special efforts to reach women and underrepresented minority candidates.
- A position description must be prepared by the hiring department. The description will be used as a basis for the advertising and must be submitted to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs along with the request to make a job offer outlined in C (1) below. Faculty titles are determined by the department chair and the dean in accordance with criteria set forth in the Faculty Handbook.
- An accurate and complete written record of efforts to locate and recruit candidates for faculty positions must be documented in the narrative summary prior to OED approval and maintained by the academic department. The narrative summary gives permission for interviews to be conducted on campus. An applicant file must be maintained for all individuals expressing an interest in the advertised faculty position that includes a demonstrated effort to collect self-identification data during pre-offer employment and post-offer employment. (Refer to materials obtained from the Office of Equity and Diversity.) This documentation is the responsibility of the hiring department and is addressed in Item C (8) below.
- When the interview processes have been completed and a determination of the preferred candidate has been made the hiring unit or advisory search committee must complete the electronic applicant Log to reflect “Reasons for Non-selection” of all applicants.
- Approval for Job Offer
The recruiting department is not authorized to make a job offer for a faculty position. The process set forth below must be followed.
- The department forwards the Electronic Authorization to the Dean and separately provides the Dean a packet including the following materials:
- Position description
- Listing of recruitment efforts
- Applicant Log and Summary of Search Process
- Candidate’s curriculum vitae and letters of recommendation
- Faculty Appointment Agreement (FAA) signed by the department chair. Faculty appointments must meet collegiate requirements. For joint faculty appointments both chairs and both deans must indicate approval.
- Proposed letter of job offer. For joint appointments signatures of both chairs and both deans are required. (See Faculty Handbook for sample form letter for paid faculty.)
- English Language Competency Form if the candidate’s native language is not English. (See HSC Administrative Policy 1.080 Certification of Effective Communication in English.)
- Documentation of highest degrees earned and postgraduate training (See HSC Administrative Policy 1.057 Documentation and Recognition of Faculty Degrees.)
- Two letters of reference
- Verification of visa status. If the preferred candidate is a foreign national the recruiting department must contact the Office of International Affairs to verify the status of the candidate’s visa and obtain documentation of eligibility for employment
- Other documents required by the college.
- The dean’s Office forwards the approved Electronic Authorization to the Office of Equity and Diversity. The Director of Equity and Diversity reviews and returns the approved Authorization to the dean’s office.
- The Dean signs the letter of job offer and forwards the Authorization and the related packet including items (a) – (j) to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
- The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs forwards the letter of job offer to the candidate with the FAA, a Faculty Data Base Questionnaire, and information regarding Employment Eligibility Verification Form Immigration Reform Act requirements. Academic Affairs forwards a copy of the letter of job offer and the FAA to Human Resources.
- Department chairs and/or deans should notify the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs if they learn that a candidate will not accept appointment. Academic Affairs will notify the Director of Equity and Diversity and Human Resources and will return all appointment materials to the originating department when a candidate declines an offer.
- When the candidate signifies acceptance of the job offer by returning the signed FAA and acceptance letter the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will forward copies to the hiring department and the dean. Academic Affairs notifies the Director of Equity and Diversity of the acceptance.
- When the recruiting department receives notification the position has been filled, records documenting the recruitment/search process should be organized for file and maintained for five years. They may be stored in Records Management. Information concerning documents to be maintained may be obtained from the Office of Equity and Diversity.
- Human Resources initiates the Personal Data Form and the PIF, routing it through the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs to Business and Finance.
- Human Resources schedules the new faculty member for an orientation at which he/she completes payroll, benefit and other required forms.
- Human Resources forwards all appropriate materials to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for maintenance as part of the faculty member’s official personnel file.
Volunteer Faculty Positions
There is no recruitment process for volunteer faculty. Nomination for appointment of volunteer faculty members are made by the chair of a HSC academic department after consultation with faculty in the department and are made in accordance with collegiate requirements. Volunteer faculty are usually assigned an “adjunct” or “clinical” faculty title in accordance with provisions of the Faculty Handbook.
- The department desiring to make the appointment forwards to the appropriate dean the materials listed in Section C (1), Items d – k above.
- The dean’s office forwards the approved FAA with the packet of related materials items d – j to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
- The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs transmits the appointment letter, the FAA and the Faculty Database Questionnaire to the faculty candidate.
- When the candidate signifies acceptance of the position by returning the signed FAA and acceptance letter the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will forward copies to the hiring department and the dean.
- The department has responsibility for initiating a Personal Data Form and a PIF. The appropriate position number must be included on the PIF. Note: Only one position number is required per cost center for “grouping” of volunteer faculty (friends positions). These materials are forwarded through the dean and the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs to Business and Finance and Payroll.
- Campus Police issue ID Cards to volunteer faculty with verification of appointment from Academic Affairs. (See also HSC Administrative Policy 2.147 Identification Card/Card Reader Policy.