No./Title: Reinstatement Policy
Resp. Office: ADMISSIONS
Approval Body: CASA
Effective Date: 10/19/2019
Last Review: 01/05/2021
Next Review: 01/05/2024
Contact: Director of Admissions
EM104 – Withdrawal Policy
UTHSC students may apply for reinstatement within one year of the last date of enrollment and six weeks prior to the start of their appropriate semester.
Each reinstatement case is unique, and, thus, reviewed individually by the Academic Dean of the college who will approve or decline the application based on academic history. In some cases, the Academic Dean of the college may establish specific requirements for reinstatement if the circumstances of the student’s departure warrant it. Students are advised to check their college specific reinstatement policies and procedures.
Students approved for reinstatement will receive instructions for completing the online reinstatement application within five business days, from the Office of Admissions.
Students who have left the university while on probation will resume their probationary status upon their return.
For voluntary medical withdrawals from UTHSC, any conditions or requirements for reinstatement will be based on the recommendations and evidence of the treating health care provider. The college will review all submitted documentation for reinstatement consideration.
Evidence may include:
Documentation of attempts to resolve issues that led to the leave
Release of academic records to inform the treating physician
Release of treatment records
Consultation with or clearance from University Health Services
Consultation with SASSI to determine if reasonable accommodations are available
Demonstrated ability to safely manage the stresses of academic study
Reinstatement of Students Returning from Military Service
Students who withdrew from the university as a result of military deployment, mobilizations, or duty changes, are entitled to reinstatement following an absence of one year following an end of duty date. The student must provide the University’s Office of Veteran Affairs and Office of Admissions with a copy of the military orders to substantiate the end of duty date.
International students are advised to contact the Office of International Affairs as soon as they have received approval for reinstatement to obtain information on regaining student visa status.
All returning students must meet the eligibility requirements and technical standards for their program. Students will be notified of their application status via their personal email address on file at UTHSC, as well as their UTHSC student email address.
Procedures for Reinstatement
The following steps are taken concurrently between the student, the Academic Department, and the Office of Admissions no later than six weeks prior to the start of the next semester in the student’s program cycle.
- Steps for the Student
- Student contacts the Academic Dean, or department designee, to request reinstatement no later than six weeks prior to the start of the semester.
- Once the student has communicated with the Academic Dean, or designee, the student receives a link to the application from the Office of Admissions.
- Student completes the electronic application for reinstatement within five business days.
- To be cleared for registration, students must submit all required reinstatement documentation to the Office of Admissions. Required documentation may include a criminal background check, immunization updates, and transcripts from institutions attended while separated from UTHSC or documents related to the student’s ability to return to their program.
- Depending on the college, the student logs into Self-Service Banner (SSB), registers for the courses required by the program and pays all tuition and fees designated by the Bursar’s Office.
- Steps for the Academic Dean/Designated College Contact
- Once the student contacts the Academic Dean or designee and approval for reinstatement is granted, a request to create the reinstatement application is sent to the Director and/or Assistant Director of Admissions.
- The Director and/or Assistant Director of Admissions, sends a link to the reinstatement application to the Dean or designee to be included in the reinstatement instructions to the student.
- An email notification from the Academic Dean, or designee, informing the student that reinstatement has been granted, the link to the reinstatement application, the student’s academic standing, and reinstatement instructions must be forwarded to the student with a copy sent to the Office of Admissions.
- Steps for the Office of Admissions
- Upon receipt of the email approval from the Academic Dean, or designee, the Office of Admissions creates the reinstatement application.
- A link to the reinstatement application is returned to the Dean or designee.
- The student receives a link to the reinstatement application which includes their
NetID and Student ID so that a new password may be created.
Effective: October 15, 2019, Committee on Academic and Student Affairs (CASA)
Approved: October 21, 2019, Chancellor
Reviewed: January 5, 2021, CASA
Approved: January 12, 2021, Chief Academic Officer