No./Title: 331 – EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE
(SPOUSE AND DEPENDENTS)
Resp. Office: HUMAN RESOURCES
Effective Date: 03/10/2014
Last Review: 11/17/2021
Next Review: 11/17/2024
Contact: Debbie Jackson
Related Policies: HR0331 – Educational Assistance (Student Fee Discount) for Spouses and Dependent Children of Employees
To provide procedures for requesting a fee discount for spouse and dependent children of employees who are eligible for educational assistance.
WHO IS AFFECTED?
Any eligible spouse or children of employee who meets the requirements for eligibility for educational assistance as set out in policy HR0331. The university, at its discretion, may require satisfactory proof of the relationship or criteria qualifying the spouse or children for eligibility under this policy. Human Resources maintains files identifying the eligible spouse and dependent children of retired or deceased employees.
The amount of the student fee discount shall be no more than fifty percent of the undergraduate in-state maintenance fee. The status of the employee on the published first day of classes for each term shall be used to determine eligibility and the amount of the student fee discount to be waived. Any change in employee status after the first day of classes shall not affect eligibility or the amount of the fee discount for that term. For employees who meet eligibility requirements after the first day of classes, this benefit will be available at the beginning of the term immediately following attainment of eligibility. UTHSC HR shall be responsible for certifying employee eligibility for benefits under this policy. Part-time employees’ discount will be pro-rated.
Spouse of retired or deceased employees with 10 or more years of regular continuous full-time service immediately preceding retirement or death are eligible for the benefit 5 years from the date of death or retirement. Children are eligible through age 26.
Spouses of retired or deceased employees with less than 10 years of regular continuous full-time service are eligible for 2 years from the date of death or retirement. Children are eligible for 2 years or through age 26, whichever comes first.
Spouses of employees who had 10 or more years of regular continuous part-time service immediately preceding retirement or death are eligible for the fee discount on a pro rata basis for two years from the date of retirement or death of the employee. Dependent children of such employees are eligible for the fee discount on a pro rata basis for two years or through age 26 whichever comes first. The pro rata discount will be based on the percent of effort worked by the employee at the time of retirement or death.
- The employee obtains the Spouse or Dependent Child Discount Form from the Human Resources office or the UTHSC Educational Assistance website: http://www.uthsc.edu/hr/benefits/educational-assistance.php
- The employee completes the Spouse or Dependent Child Discount form and obtains departmental approval.
- The departmental signature can consist of the immediate supervisor, department head, or business manager. The department, cost center(s) must be listed. If multiple cost centers are used the cost center percentages must equal 100%.
- After departmental approval, forms must be certified by HR. Employees can obtain HR signature as early as:
FALL Semester- July 1st
SPRING Semester- Dec. 1st
SUMMER Semester- April 1st
- The student will submit the approved form to the Bursars/ Cashier’s Office of the school that they will be attending.
- Retired or deceased employees will only obtain a signature and authorization from the Benefits office.
- UT Foundation employees must have the entire form completed including regular continuous service date and 2 departmental signatures prior to forwarding to HR.
Notify UTHSC Benefits office and your institution’s Bursars office of any changes made to the fee waiver.