No./Title: COM104/Visiting Students
Resp. Office: Medical Education
Approval Body: CUME
Effective Date: 10/15/18
Last Review: 9/20/21
Next Review: 9/19/24
Contact: Michael Whitt, Ph.D.
Interim Assoc. Dean, Med Ed
Related Policy: SA106–Visiting Student Procedure
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) College of Medicine (COM) will provide elective opportunities at its sites in Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville and Jackson for students from other medical schools. This policy outlines eligibility criteria, procedural requirements and availability limitations for visiting students.
RATIONALE AND PROCEDURE
Eligibility for a visiting elective is based on academic qualifications.
- A visiting student must be a candidate for the M.D. or D.O. degree in good standing in his/her final year of training at an LCME or COCA accredited medical school or from institutions with which UTHSC has a formal exchange program.
- A visiting student must have completed instruction in the basic history and physical examination, and have a working knowledge of general ward procedures.
- All electives require that the student has completed a minimum of five core clerkships.
- A student must have met the prerequisites of the elective to which they are applying.
- A student must have passed USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Part 1.
To be accepted as a visiting student, an individual must also:
- Pass a criminal background check;
- Pass a drug screen;
- Carry malpractice/liability insurance coverage in the amount of $1 million per incident and $3 million aggregate, through his/her home institution or other acceptable sources;
- Have health insurance;
- Have been immunized against measles, mumps, rubella, polio, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, influenza, varicella and hepatitis B, and other vaccinations as required by specific facilities;
- Have two negative TB skin tests in the prior 12 months, and undergone TB mask fitting;
- Have been certified in CPR within the past year;
- Have completed HIPAA compliance and security training.
- Electives will be made available to visiting students only after all UTHSC students have been scheduled which may occur up until 30 days before the start of the rotation. In aggregate, the elective experience for a visiting student at all campuses is limited to a maximum of 12 weeks during a medical school career.
- Any exception to this policy must be approved by the Dean of the respective COM campus at the recommendation of the Department Chair, or their designees, who will assume responsibility for verifying that the above requirements have been met.
- Academic credit for the elective will be awarded by the visiting student’s home institution. No academic credit will be awarded by UTHSC.