Resp. Office: Communications and Marketing
Effective Date: 05/02/2019
Last Review: 05/02/2019
Next Review: 05/02/2022
Contact: Sally Badoud, Vice Chancellor,
Communications and Marketing
To clarify the processes used by UTHSC for working with the media
This policy establishes procedures for working with representatives of the media.
Everyone involved in any external communications process at UTHSC.
At the UT Health Science Center, the Chancellor, or his designee, is the official
spokesperson in all communications with external media.
- The Office of Communications and Marketing is assigned responsibility for coordinating all UT Health Science Center media contacts, for serving as liaison for all media relations, and for assisting in the promotion and dissemination of noteworthy items to the public.
- Faculty or staff who are contacted directly by the media must consult with the Office of Communications and Marketing prior to providing any response to the media either by telephone, email, or in‐person interview.
- Faculty or staff who have or are involved with materials, achievements, honors, major grants or UT-related events are encouraged to share good deeds with the public, but must coordinate proposed media releases or contacts with the Office of Communications and Marketing.
It is the responsibility of the Office of Communications and Marketing Department to assure appropriate coordination is maintained with other offices or agencies and to make sure appropriate approvals are obtained prior to making a response.
- The UT System and UTHSC administration must be involved when any topic is associated with major UT priorities.
- Policy or institutional‐level issues must be coordinated through the appropriate dean’s and/or chancellor’s office. The chancellor and his designee are the only spokespeople for the UT Health Science Center in such matters.
- Educational issues are collegiate matters and must involve the appropriate dean or deans.
- Patient care and research matters are departmental‐level issues and must involve the department chairperson.
- Donor gift and pledge information is considered confidential and must be treated as such. Issues or questions regarding donors are to be directed through the Vice Chancellor for Development and Alumni Affairs or his/her designee.
- Media: Communication channels through which news, entertainment, education, data, or promotional messages are disseminated. Media includes every broadcasting and narrowcasting medium such as newspapers, magazines, TV, radio, billboards, direct mail, telephone, fax, and internet, as well as all forms of social media.