To clarify the processes used by the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) for working with the media.
This policy establishes procedures for working with representatives of the media, including print, online, broadcast, radio, social media, and podcasts.
Everyone involved in any external communications process at UTHSC.
- Media: Communication channels through which news, entertainment, education, data, or promotional messages are disseminated. Media includes every broadcasting and narrowcasting medium such as newspapers, magazines, TV, radio, billboards, podcasts, direct mail, telephone, fax, and internet, as well as all forms of social media in connection with the Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM) digital content team.
- Public records requests for UTHSC are fulfilled by the UT System administration. For more information or to request records please go to: https://communications.tennessee.edu/public- records/
- At the UTHSC, the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for Communications and Marketing, or his/her designee, is the official spokesperson in all communications with external media.
- The OCM is assigned responsibility for coordinating all UTHSC media contacts, for serving as liaison for all media relations, and for assisting in the promotion and dissemination of noteworthy items to the public. OCM works with campus communicators on all media requests.
- Faculty or staff who are contacted directly by the media must consult with the OCM prior to providing any response to the media either by telephone, email, or in‐person interview.
- Faculty or staff who have or are involved with materials, achievements, honors, major grants or UT/UTHSC-related events are encouraged to share good deeds with the public but must coordinate proposed media releases or contacts with the OCM.
- It is the responsibility of the OCM Department to assure appropriate coordination is maintained with campus communicators and other offices or agencies and to make sure appropriate approvals are obtained prior to making a response.
- The UT System and UTHSC administration must be involved when any topic is associated with major UT/UTHSC priorities.
- Policy or institutional‐level issues must be coordinated through the appropriate dean’s and/or chancellor’s office. The Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for Communications and Marketing, and his/her designee are the only spokespeople for the UTHSC in such matters.
- Educational issues are collegiate matters and must involve the appropriate dean or deans.
- Patient care and research matters are departmental‐level issues and must involve the department chairperson, as well as the OCM and campus communicators.
- Donor gift and pledge information is considered confidential and must be treated as such. Issues or questions regarding donors are to be directed through the Vice Chancellor for Advancement or his/her designee.