Process for Creating New and Revising Existing* University Policies
*This process only applies to revisions that are more than an update or technical revision.
1.a. Statement of Need and Impact
- Upon identifying a need for a new policy or policy revision, the Responsible Official (RO) prepares the Statement of Need and Impact and submits it to the University Policy Office of the Office of General Counsel (“Policy Office”).
1.b. Policy Drafting
- Policies shall be prepared in accordance with the policy template for GE0001 developed by the University Policy Office.
- The RO may assign the drafting of the policy to one or more subject matter experts.
- After drafting the policy, the RO will submit the draft policy to the Policy Office for review. The Policy Office shall review and comment within 30 days.
2.a. Initial Review of Policy
- After the Policy Office and RO have reviewed and incorporated comments, the Policy Office shall submit the policy draft and Statement of Need and Impact to the standing policy advisory group appointed by the RO. The policy advisory group shall submit comments to the RO within 21 days, unless granted an extension by the RO.
- The RO shall consider comments by the policy advisory group and, in consultation with the Policy Office, determine whether revisions to the policy draft are needed.
- The RO needs to confirm that the chief officers at each campus and institute for the relevant subject matter have reviewed the policy.
2.b. Final Review of Policy
- The Policy Office shall submit the final policy draft and Statement of Need and Impact to the Senior Policy Review Group.
- This group must complete their comments and review within 21 days.
2.c. Final Version of Policy
- The Policy Office, in consultation with the RO, shall prepare a final version of the policy, incorporating any necessary revisions based on comments by the Senior Policy Review Group.
- The Policy Office shall then submit the final version to the Senior Policy Review Group for approval. The Policy Office should obtain and maintain documentation of the approval.
3.a. Communication and Training
- The Policy Office shall have the policy posted on the system-wide website.
- The RO shall carry out the communication plan approved by the Senior Policy Review Group.
- The RO shall notify the appropriate officials to update any printed previous versions of the policy.
- The RO shall determine whether certain groups need special communication.
- The RO shall determine whether certain groups of employees need training and implement any necessary training.