SA0400 – Hazardous Material Safety
Each university location will establish a program for the safe handling, transport, storage and disposal of hazardous materials.
- The hazardous material program of the University of Tennessee system shall comply with all existing state, federal and local codes, ordinances and laws relating to the transportation, use, generation, storage and disposal of whatever may be determined by those regulations to be "hazardous." The program shall be communicated and available to all departments and persons who may be in contact with these materials and/or subject to the regulations governing these materials.
- It shall be responsibility of each safety officer to evaluate and communicate to the administration the requirements of the program. It shall be the responsibility of each department or unit to implement the required program within each area. The program requires that each location will:
- Identify and evaluate hazardous materials.
- Implement safety procedures for handling hazardous materials, including spills and releases.
- Maintain an inventory of chemicals and the associated safety data sheets.
- Properly label and store hazardous materials.
- Properly transport and dispose of hazardous materials, including designating a responsible person or unit to supervise the storage and the disposal of the hazardous materials.
- Communicate the program requirements to those persons who are affected by the program.
- Provide training for personnel handling hazardous materials.
- Use recognized control hierarchy (elimination, substitution, engineering, administrative and personal protective equipment) for managing hazardous substances.
- Annually evaluate the compliance and currency of the program.
- In the event of any cited violation by federal, state, or local regulatory agencies, immediate notification and proposed remedy of the same shall be made to the safety officer and the university safety director.