No./Title: SIM104 – Sim Media Capture
Resp. Office: SIMULATION
Approval Body: CASA
Effective Date: 01/15/2019
Last Review: 01/15/2019
Next Review: 01/15/2022
Contact: Chad Epps, Executive Director CHIPS
SIM100 – Sim Confidentiality
- Lead Simulation Faculty/Facilitator: The Faculty/Facilitator that carries primary responsibility for the activity, serves as the main point of contact, and is responsible for recruiting other Faculty/Facilitators and content experts as needed.
- Participants: anyone involved in or observers of simulation activity (e.g., students, learners, educators, instructors, faculty, staff, or observers)
- Simulation activities: include simulated clinical scenarios, simulated task training, standardized patient scenarios, debriefings and/or discussions
- Simulation assessment: a simulation activity where a student/learner is being evaluated on the nature, quality, or ability of performance of health care activities
- All simulation activities are subject to media capture which includes video recording, audio recording and photography.
- Media capture may be used for quality improvement, education and/or marketing purposes but learners will not be identified beyond profession or field of study.
- Media capture may be used for IRB approved research with participant consent.
- In-situ simulations will be rigorously structured to prevent the video or image capture of any patient or patient-related information.
- Media captures may be released in situations deemed appropriate by the Executive Director in consultation with Lead Simulation Faculty/Facilitator.
- All participants in simulation activities will be presented the Sim Media Capture Consent Form (included as Appendix A). Participants need only sign consent once.
- Lead Simulation Faculty/Facilitator may specify that a course, or part of a course, be captured.
- If any simulation participant refuses to consent to the media capture, the Lead Simulation Faculty/Facilitator will determine if a) the participant will be excused from the event and media capture will continue or b) media capture will not occur where the participant is involved.
- If the Lead Simulation Faculty/Facilitator would like access to recorded simulation-based educational activities, this should be indicated on the Simulation Event Request Form and disclosed to the participants before the simulation begins.
- If the Lead Simulation Faculty/Facilitator would like to access recorded simulation-based assessment(s), this request should be indicated on the Simulation Event Request Form and disclosed to the participant before the assessment event.
- If an in-situ event recording inadvertently captures patient information, the file will be deleted immediately and reported to the Executive Director.
Effective: January 15, 2019, Committee on Academic and Student Affairs (CASA)
Approved: January 15, 2019, Chancellor